Using AFPEx to submit a NOTAM
Notices to Airmen (NOTAM) cover short-duration, temporary or short notice permanent changes. NOTAMs contain information concerning the establishment, condition or change in an aeronautical facility, service, procedure or hazard; the timely knowledge of which is essential to personnel concerned with flight operations.
When a unit decides to raise a NOTAM, a NOTAM Proposal message is to be sent to the NOTAM office where the details are checked, any changes are made and it is issued a NOTAM number. The NOTAM Office will send a ‘The NOTAM Proposal Has Been Used’ message back to the originating unit and then the NOTAM is published.
AFPEx provides certain users (predominantly ATS providers) with the facility to raise NOTAM proposals to the NOTAM office and receive reply messages.
To raise a NOTAM proposal
From the AFPEx NOTAM menu select NOTAM proposal...
Note: If this option is greyed out, you do not have sufficient permissions to access this functionality. Please Contact the AFPEx Helpdesk if you believe you should have access.
The NOTAM proposal form will be displayed, which should be filled in as follows (see below for an example):
- Leave the priority (Prio.) as GG.
- Check the NOF Addressees box to automatically add the NOTAM office addressees.
- The NOTAM Type may be selected - N for a New NOTAM, C to Cancel a NOTAM, R to Replace a NOTAM.
- The Reference NOTAM ID will only be active in the case of Cancelling or Replacing a NOTAM, and should be filled in appropriately.
- Leave the Q Line section, as this will be used by the NOTAM office.
- In field A), enter the ICAO designator(s) for those Aerodromes or FIRs affected. For example: EGLL (Heathrow) or EGTT (London FIR).
- In fields B) and C),
enter the date and time that the NOTAM becomes effective and
ceases to be effective respectively. These fields are in the
format YYMMDDhhmm, for example 13th February 2011 at 09:00
is entered as:
1102130900. If the time entered in field C is an estimate, add the suffix
- If the status or condition is active during only certain
periods, they are specified in field D).
For example to indicate that the NOTAMed information is only
active on April 3rd, 7th, 12th, 21st, 24th and 28th between
the hours of 07:30 and 15:00, enter:
APR 03 07 12 21 24 AND 28 0730 TO 1500.
- In field E), enter a clear and concise description of the hazard, status or condition in plain text.
- If the NOTAM contains the details of a Navigation Warning,
then fields F) and G)
should be used to provide details of the lower and upper
limits of the affected airspace. For example:
2000 FT MSL,
Once the form has been filled in, typing Ctrl-E will verify that the information entered is valid. If any red crosses remain, the details of the invalid data should be shown at the top of the screen. Hovering the mouse over a red cross against a specific field should pop up information on how to fill in that field.
Click the Send button at the top left to submit the NOTAM proposal to the NOTAM office.